Thank you for visiting the web-site of the New York Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (NYAMFT). A state division of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT), we are the professional organization for the field of marriage and family therapy in New York State. We represent the professional interests of over 800 licensed marriage and family therapists.
Our purpose is:
- to advocate for the professional interests of licensed marriage and family therapists;
- to educate the public and related professionals about the documented and demonstrated efficacy of relational/systemic approaches to mental and behavioral health;
- to provide effective leadership in ensuring that the public's needs are met by trained, ethical, and licensed practitioners;
- to provide our membership with training and networking opportunities;
- to provide effective support for the mental health community and the larger New York State community.
Marriage and Family Therapists (commonly referred to as MFTs or family therapists) are trained and licensed to independently diagnose and treat mental health and relationship problems. Marriage and family therapy is one of the core mental health disciplines and based on the research and theory that mental illness and family problems are best treated in a family context.
What problems are commonly treated by marriage and family therapists?
- depression and other common mood disorders
- adolescent high risk behaviors
- substance abuse and alcholism
- childhood behavioral and emotional disorders
- couple communication problems
- eating disorders
- sucidal ideation and behaviors
- sexual dysfunction including erectile dysfunction
Want to learn more about the problems that are treated by marriage and family therapists or want to find an MFT in your area? See More...
Looking for a therapist?
Look for the "AAMFT Clinical Member" designation or logo identifying those marriage and family therapists that have met the highest educational and training standards of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
|Who are Marriage and Family Therapists?||Who are the clients of Marriage and Family Therapists?|
To find a list of Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists near you:
2013 Annual State Conference and Holiday/Social Gathering
Our Annual State Conference was on December 7, 2013 in Manhattan. "Mating in Captivity: Reconciling Intimacy, Sexuality and Erotic Desire in Couples" with Esther Perel, LMFT. Thank to the Metro Chapter for all your hard work in organizing and hosting this event!
Lobby Day May 8, 2013
Thank you to everyone who participated in Lobby Day 2013! To learn more about NYAMFT's advocacy efforst in New York click here: Legislation
Moving to New York?Are you new to New York? Are you planning on moving to New York in the near future?We want to assist you with the transition and getting settled with ease into your professional life.To get access to NY Membership Benefits:1) Join AAMFT (if not already a member)2) Make sure to use a NY address to get access to NYAMFT (division of AAMFT) Membership Benefits3) If you don't have a NY address yet, you can still get access to basic benefits by "Registering" with us (follow instructions below). Some of these include:
- Access to our Dynamic Online MFT Friendly Listings Database
- Access to MFT Self Advocacy and Visibility material
- Email announcements of events and important Division updates
To RegisterSend a Copy of your AAMFT Membership Letter (you can print if off the site) with your Email address written on it and a Check for $25 made out to NYAMFT, to:Brenda RodriguezNYAMFT Treasurer792 N. Main Street, Suite 200ENorth Syracuse, NY 13212
We look forward to serving you!
Top Licensing Questions Answered By David Hamilton, Ph.D., LMSW, ACSW, Executive Secretary State Board for Mental Health Practitioners
Email email@example.com for answers!
Check out our new NYAMFT video!