Thank you for visiting the web-site of the New York Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (NYAMFT). We are the New York State Division of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT).
Our purpose is:
- to advocate for the professional interests of licensed marriage and family therapists
- to educate the public and related professionals about efficacy of relational/systemic approaches to mental and behavioral health
- to provide effective leadership in ensuring that the public's needs are met by trained, ethical, and licensed practitioners
- to provide our membership with training and networking opportunities
- to provide effective support for the mental health community and the larger New York State community
Marriage and Family Therapists (commonly referred to as MFTs or family therapists) are trained and licensed to treat mental health and relationship problems. Marriage and family therapy is one of the core mental health disciplines in New York State that views mental illness and family problems are best treated in a systemic context.
What problems are commonly treated by marriage and family therapists?
- depression and other common mood disorders
- adolescent high risk behaviors
- substance abuse and alcholism
- childhood behavioral and emotional disorders
- couple communication problems
- eating disorders
- sucidal ideation and behaviors
- sexual dysfunction including erectile dysfunction
Looking for a therapist?
Look for the "AAMFT Clinical Member" designation or logo identifying those marriage and family therapists that have met the highest educational and training standards of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy.
To find a list of Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists near you:
Moving to New York?Are you new to New York? Are you planning on moving to New York in the near future?We want to assist you with the transition and getting settled with ease into your professional life.To get access to NY Membership Benefits:1) Join AAMFT (if not already a member)2) Make sure to use a NY address to get access to NYAMFT (division of AAMFT) Membership Benefits3) If you don't have a NY address yet, you can still get access to basic benefits by "Registering" with us (follow instructions below). Some of these include:*no voting rights
To RegisterSend a Copy of your AAMFT Membership Letter (you can print if off the site) with your Email address written on it and a Check for $25 made out to NYAMFT, to:Mitch JaffeNYAMFT Treasurer530 Oak StreetSyracuse, NY 13203
We look forward to serving you!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for answers!